Melanie Martinez album review: part 1

2:55 PM

Hello everyone!

How are you doing? I have been quite well, but a bit busy! In this blogpost I will talk about Melanie Martinez album 'Cry baby'. This might not be everyone's cup of tea... So I am giving you a heads up because I'm going to talk about this exquisite album of hers. This blogpost is going to be split in to four parts because I am going to talk about every song on her album! Her album consists of 16 songs, so in this blogpost I am going to talk about the first four songs and on the second blogpost I will talk about the next four songs and so forth! Without further ado, here is my review.

Before we start reviewing the songs I would have to give you some background info. The album 'Cry baby' is about Melanie her life, it is a bit dramatized, so some things might have happend and some things might not have happened.Melanie explains it on her website where she also goes through the proces of writing her songs. She also made it into a little fairy tale like book. There she explains the songs one by one so you could understand it a bit better, well it helped me understand it better. And I read a lot between the lines, so that might help as well.    



'You try to explain
but before you can start
those cry baby tears
Come out of the dark'

This song is an introduction to the main character from her album, her name is 'Cry baby'. The song already starts out very catchy in my opinion! 
Okay, all of you people out there raise your hands up if you are a bit overemotional *I'd raise my hand quicker than I liked*. This song is for you. Melanie or Cry baby, talks about a girl who cries easily because she replaced her brain with her heart. This means to me that you don't think logical but you think with your feelings.  
If I am going to be honest with you, I could see myself doing that. Sometimes emotions can be overwhelming and the only thing you can do is cry (I am not ashamed to admit that). In that moment I could not care less of who is present I just need to unleash my feelings. After that I actually feel better. I am kind of curious, how do you feel after a (good) cry?
When you come to the end of the song you'll realize that she is talking about herself. Before she used words like 'you' and then, when the end of the song is near you'll realize that she transitions to the word 'I'. Which means she is talking about herself. 



'No one ever listens, this wallpaper glistens
One day they'll see what goes down in the kitchen'

Ooooooh this song is just.... Yaaaas. Cry baby introduces the rest of her family. A weed smoking brother, an alcoholic mother and a cheating father. I think that she is ashamed or afraid of what people would think if they saw what was really happening at home. Her family is putting up a facade for the rest of the world to see. This song makes me think about a suburban family in the 50's or the sixty's. Or for the Desperate Housewives lovers (a.k.a. me) it would be a Bree van de Camp homesetting. In my last blogpost I also talked about this song and I told you guys that I could identify myself with it because I have been putting up a good face for the world, and in the meanwhile I would feel crappy inside. You can interpret it in a lot of different ways. I honestly think it depends on the mood you are in and if you are an introvert or not. When I heard this song for the first time I was intrigued because it was very deep, but understandable!    

3. Sippy cup

'Blood still stains when the sheets are washed
Sex don't sleep when the lights are off
Kids are still depressed when you dress them up
And syrup is still syrup in a sippy cup
He's still dead when you're done with the bottle
Of course it's a corpse that you keep in the cradle
Kids are still depressed when you dress them up
Syrup is still syrup in a sippy cup.'


I am going to be honest with you guys. When it came to this song, I felt pretty clueless, the only thing I knew for sure was that Cry baby's mom got tired of her husband and murdered him and the mistress (which you can see in the video). This is a turning point in Cry baby's life, because the next couple of songs are a bit 'darker'. Now back to this song, I think that Cry baby is singing this in her moms perspective. Cry baby is singing everything she notices and I think she explains why her mom killed her father and the mistress. There were signs like buying jewelry and taking extra shifts at the drug company. This is when the mother suspects him of having an affair and she's like, does he really think I am that dumb? That I wont notice anything? 
Then Cry baby tells us that her mum got unstable and insecure as time went by. Her mum took pills, she tried to kill herself and went to the doctor (my guess, a shrink). Despite all those things her mother could not handle the situation and took matters in to her own hands. When you just listen to the song you'll understand half of it, but when you watch the video you will understand it a lot better! 


'Round and round like a horse on a carousel, we go,
Will I catch up to love? I could never tell, I know,
Chasing after you is like a fairytale, but I,
Feel like I'm glued on tight to this carousel'

Okay, hold up guys! THIS BEAT IS FREAKIN' EVERYTHING IN LIFE YOU WILL EVER NEED. It sounds haunting and eerie but it has also has a sort of sweetness with a beat to it.  I urge you to listen to the beat of this song and just let loose. Do not care about the crazy looks you're going to get because those people do not know what they are missing... 
Okay, when you are done with 'letting loose' I'll start with the review ;). 
Lets talk about the videoclip for a second. Melanie recorded this video at a abandoned carnival setting and I loved everything about it. The feeling that Dismaland by Banksy gave me (from the pictures I have seen), came close to when I was watching this. It gives off an eerie vibe and makes you think deeper about the meaning behind a certain piece; song or visual art. On a side note: I wished resided In England so I could go to Dismaland.  
The first words that come to mind when listening to this song is 'commitment issues'. It is because of this part:


'And it's all fun and games,
'Til somebody falls in love,
But you've already bought a ticket,
And there's no turning back now'
   
But you could also interpret the song as two people who keep missing each other in the whole love spectrum. Either way, the song is good, the clip is amazing and you could apply the song to different situations. What more could you want from a song?  

Thank you guys for reading this review and I hoped you enjoyed reading this! I will be releasing the next three parts in the following weeks! You can keep up with me on instagram, because I will be posting a lot more in March! I am going to two concerts and I have to finish a baking project! I might post some stuff on there for you to see.   


xo Laxmi

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Where you can find me

 photo instagram_2.png  photo google.png  photo pinterest_2.png  photo bloglovin_2.png